- BlackBerry® Smartphones
- BlackBerry® 6
- BlackBerry Balance™ technology
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for Microsoft® Exchange 5.0 SP3
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express for Microsoft® Exchange 5.0 SP3
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for IBM® Lotus® Domino® 5.0 SP3
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express for IBM® Lotus® Domino® 5.0 SP3
An organization might want to permit BlackBerry® smartphone users to use BlackBerry smartphones for both personal use and work use. For example, if an organization chooses to permit BlackBerry smartphone users to activate personal BlackBerry smartphones on a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, or permit BlackBerry smartphone users to use BlackBerry smartphones that the organization purchased for personal use.
If the BlackBerry smartphone is running a BlackBerry® Device Software version that can distinguish between personal data and work data, security features and options on the BlackBerry smartphone allows the BlackBerry smartphone to treat organizational data and applications differently from personal data and applications. The features and options have the following benefits:
- Permit the organization to control access to organizational data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Help prevent organizational data from being compromised.
- Provide a unified experience for BlackBerry smartphone users when they access personal data and work data.
- Permit the organization to delete organizational data and applications from personal BlackBerry smartphones when BlackBerry smartphone users are no longer a part of the organization.
This functionality is supported in BlackBerry® Device software 6.0 Bundle 1478 and later for Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) BlackBerry smartphones. Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) BlackBerry smartphone users must contact their Wireless Service Provider to ensure that the current BlackBerry Device Software available on the BlackBerry smartphone supports BlackBerry Balance™ technology.
For further details regarding BlackBerry Balance™ technology, see the Securing Devices for Personal Use and Work Use Security Note.
For further details regarding IT Policy definitions for BlackBerry Balance™ technology, click here.
By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree:
(b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Visit the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center at www.blackberry.com/btsc.